Sunday, October 7, 2007

Rambutan

I have to blog this before the fruit gets out of season. The rambutan is one of my favorite seasonal fruits. So whenever I see it around, I make sure I buy.


I was scared of this fruit when I saw it for the first time when I was young. The hairs/spines on the bright red fruit creeped me out! "Rambut" is actually a Malay word whcih means hairs.

Even Athena agrees. Hahaha...

But once I got to taste that juicy white flesh inside with the sweet and slightly tangy flavor, I have loved it since. I particularly like the 'tuklapin' variety where the seed coat peels off with the flesh thus adding a gritty bite to the fruit.

I have seen canned varieties in the groceries but I have never tried them. They are probably good too but I prefer my rambutan fresh and sweet.

8 comments:

  1. I love rambutans. My in-laws tasted them for the first time when they visited the Phils in July and enjoy them tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vera, my whole family loves it too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know rambut meant hair. :)

    Last month, a former students sent me the sweetest rambutan I have ever tasted. Problem is, I can't eat too much of this fruit. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bugsybee, i didnt know it either... i just read sa wikipedia. ;-)
    ako, i still find the hairs a bit icky... so what i do, i peel na as many as i can, then put them all in a bowl. tapos, eat na lang ng eat. takaw no!

    ReplyDelete
  5. another sweet produce of the land you have here...i still prefer lanzones though hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. tutubi, your blog entry on Lanzones inspired me to take shots of my new buys from the market. will be blogging about Lanzones soon, too. thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rambutans here in the US are very expensive. It's 75 cents apiece! I bought just one piece - and my mother-in-law got scared when she saw it on the table! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mochi08, wow! so pricey pala! thats too bad... dito, mura as ever...

    ReplyDelete