Thursday, April 12, 2007

U.P. on a Black Saturday

My husband gave me a tour of the U.P. Diliman campus last Black Saturday. It has been more than a decade since he graduated from the state university so he was excited to visit it.



It was a great day for admiring the vastness of the whole campus.


Mon proudly hailed from University of the Philippines High School and continued on to college in U.P. to take up Sociology.


The famous oblation. I finally got to meet him. I would have to say that he had me at the first click of my shutter! He was so beautifully crafted. He photographs so well...

... in any angle,


in any lighting,


from any distance.

A marvelous piece of art indeed! For there he stands, all by himself, quietly, unmoving, unspeaking, yet he seems to shout to me from the depths of his soul. I was moved by this work of art really.


They call this the sunken garden. It took me 5 shots to be able to cover the whole expanse. I tried my best to stitch them together so I could show how huge it is. I am amazed.


Oh no... this is not a park. This is still part of the campus though it pretty much looks like one specially this Black Saturday when families came together and passed the time away together in a picnic mode.



Acacia and narra trees line the avenues of the campus giving it a cool calm feel.


They call this the Carillon, the belltower.


I just had to take this shot of Andres Bonifacio, who for me is the "least sung" but should be the most revered hero of our history.



I was dead tired at the end of that day. But I didn't have the spirit to complain. It was a very different Black Saturday for me this year. Pleasantly different.

6 comments:

  1. wow ang linis ng UP ah hehehehe =) mukhang lahat on vacation :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. gusto talaga ni Fafa eh holiday para daw bukod sa walang traffic coming from paranaque, wala din mashadong studes sa campus. hehehe....

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you know that the person who modeled for the oblation is the late Fernando Poe Sr.? In UP Los BaƱos, we did not have an oblation until the late 80's or early 90's when I was gone for along time. What we had then was a farmer carrying a plow on his shoulders and the carabao walking ahead of him. Siguro, pauwi na sila o baka papunta pa lang sa bukid. It depends on what time of the day you look at the statue. Flanking this were two identical quadro-carabao heads, the breed we do not know for they had curly hair parted in the middle. Mapapajingle sa salawal ang sino mang art critique na mag lakas loob i-critique ang mga ito. Balita ko, may oblation narin sa UPLB at nasa harap ng old library bldg. If you like taking shots of nature, try the road going to Lemery Batangas via Batulao Ridge in Tagaytay. From the road to Nasugbu, take the left fork right after the Batangas-Cavite boundary arch. On your left will be the majestic taal lake and rarely photographed angle of it. Take along a zoom lens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i did recent readings at wiki and unfortunately, it says otherwise. :-( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.P._Oblation

    anyway, thanks for the directions to tall. we will check it out for sure soon. have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the correction. ako itong alumnus pero mis-informed pa ako. so it was the aprentice who modeled. tama lang, sila ang laging magkasama e di yung estudyante na lang. baka walang perang pambayad ng model kay yung estudyante nya ang pinaghubad. ano ba yan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the correction. ako itong alumnus pero mis-informed pa ako. so it was the aprentice who modeled. tama lang, sila ang laging magkasama e di yung estudyante na lang. baka walang perang pambayad ng model kay yung estudyante nya ang pinaghubad. ano ba yan?

    ReplyDelete